Skip to main content

True Biker Chick

I stopped by Farm Fresh on the way home, today. Of course, I was on my bike.

 I've gotten pretty used to weird looks. A girl walking around with a helmet and an Icon chest protector ... most of the time, they are looking for whatever guy I MUST BE riding with.

Standing in line with my shampoo and hairspray, I heard a lady behind me say, "What do you ride?" Now, people who don't ride will say, "What kind of bike do you have?" ... I've learned that other riders will ask "What do you ride?" I was tired, on my way home from a late day at work and hungry. I didn't have time for a chit chat about bikes. Not today. I didn't turn around all the way. I said over my shoulder "A Yamaha YZF 600r." The lady said "Oh, thats nice dear."

Part of me was annoyed at her tone. Another part of me felt disappointed in myself. I would hate if someone ignored my grandmother like that. I swallowed my pride and turned around. She was definitely older and about my height. She smiled at me. I smiled back and said "Thanks." She then told me that she used to ride ... before life caught up with her. She used to ride a 1958 Royal Enfield Indian 700 Twin.

0_0 !!!! (imagine the Minion from Despicable Me!)

Bad Ass. I might have dropped my jaw to the floor at some point. She had my undivided attention! I didn't even pay attention to the cashier as she checked out my items. She could have charged me double, I didn't care. I hung onto every single word that she said. I even walked her outside.

Back in the late 60's, she used to sneak out of her house and taught herself to ride her fathers motorcycle. She met her husband during one of her rides. Been married for over 50 years. I was in love with this woman I had just met. She had the most genuine smile. I couldn't help but smile back. I wanted to take her home and bring her to my next bike meet. I wanted to talk to her about bikes. I wanted to sit at the Starbucks and talk Bikes. But she was on her way home to make dinner, which is where I was supposed to be.

She shook my hand and told me "Keep the shiny side up, young lady." I replied with "Yes ma'am, you do the same." She smiled at me and dropped her left hand with two fingers.

YES! She was a true rider! I want to be just like her when I grow up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1

10 facts about yourself. .. I am on my iPad so if you see typos then just pretend they are spelled correctly. Move on!!!! 1. I am beginning to turn into a geek. I will explain... I was never a gadget geek until I met my husband. For our anniversary he purchased an iPad for me. For Valentines day he purchased a docking station for my iPad. Every year the presents get cooler and cooler ... But I am forgetting what diamonds look like... (hint hint) 2. I just became a Party Gal. Oh yes... This chic does those parties. They are the most fun and you can't beat having a good time with friends while earning free stuff ... Free naughty stuff!!!! Woot woot. 3. I am addicted to Twilight. Don't judge me, it wasn't my fault ... Well, not really. If you say you don't like it or you think it is stupid then you are missing the bigger picture. I don't have time to go into it, but if you hate it then you are stoooooopid!!! 4. I married a white guy. I know I know ... A really white gu

I have an addiction ...

Yes ... I'm no longer in denial. I have an addiction. VH1 has this little mini series that started with Flavor Flav ... some of you might know who he is, some of you won't. I won't go into details, if you want to know ... google his name. Anyway ... this man was looking for love. So VH1 gave him his own show where he could have 15 - 20 women compete for his love. Every week, he would eliminate one person. Here is where it get's a little confusing so try to follow along. I didn't really watch this one, I'm not a huge fan of Flavor Flav. From this show, New York (he named all of the women different names based on personality or character) was in the bottom two and lost. She got her own show ... "I Love New York" ... where she got to go thru 15 - 20 men while they competed for her love. THEN ... they figured why not a rock star... so they got Brett Michales from Poison to do his own show ... ready for this ... "Rock of Love." Now between

#17 - Bikini Wax

Sweet Jesus ... what was I thinking? Today I finally got the courage to do this whole "Bikini Wax" thing. I was really really hoping this thing was a fad and it was going to go away, but it didn't. :( After my relaxing message I walked next door (with my husband in tow) and I grew some balls and asked the lady how much the bikini wax was. She could probably tell by my face that I had never done this before. She smiled and pointed at the BIG price board behind her. Oops... fail #1. Holy Hell, $45 to rip hair off of someone’s body? Really? UGH ... After talking myself in and out of doing the wax, I decided that since I was here I might as well just do it. I mean, my motto in life is to try everything once, and the fun things twice. This wasn't quite what I had in mind. The moment that I said that I wanted to do this, a tiny girl comes up to me and starts talking to me about her prices and what she does and does not do. ... I'm confused. All I wanted was a bi